Chapter 2: Living in This World - 1 ──Why, in the world, did I set my appearance to its lowest value? Covering for some disadvantage with raw ability only works when the disadvantage really is “some”. If I could, I'd go back right now to the moment before I reincarnated and make my appearance at least passable as average. No, I won't even ask for something as extravagant as average. If I could just have an appearance that gets me treated as “human”, at the bare minimum, that'd be enough. Please, somebody, just treat me like a person. The moment I was born, I realized my choice had been a mistake. Because the eyes of the parents holding me were twisted with fear and confusion. If there's any real love involved, picking up a newborn should be something done with a smile. But in the eyes of the man who was apparently my father, all that was carved was fear and shock toward his own child. I remember clearly how my mother forced a smile onto her face as she picked me up. At...
Chapter 31: What Happened on a Winter Day I was lying on the couch at home, looking out the window. True to Hachioji's winters, fine snow was dancing outside, blown about by the wind. Half a year had passed since my C-Rank promotion. Before I knew it, it was already mid-February. As for university, all that was left was waiting to graduate. My thesis was all done too. All I'd had to do was translate my everyday work straight onto the page. "A Study on Distribution Channels for Magic Stones and Biological Materials in Dungeons and Price-Formation Mechanisms at Regional Guilds" When a professor with no field experience tried to needle me with a nasty question, I'd shut him up flatly with, "I'm simply laying out reasoning grounded in actual fieldwork, as a working C-Rank Explorer." Beating someone down with logic and data is perfectly legal. Things on the life were going smoothly too. I'd told my parents over the phone that I'd become an Explor...
Chapter 32: Status, Half a Year Later Hachioji Dungeon, Floor 36. This has been my current workplace for the past two months or so and I've practically been living here. The monster that spawns here is the High Orc which is a stronger variant of the Orc that first appears on Floor 21. Both are huge, standing at around three meters tall along with fearsome vitality but as the higher-tier variant, High Orcs are also considerably smarter. They hunt Explorers down through coordinated teamwork so most parties either take them on in numbers or blow them away in one go with heavy firepower. Since they're needlessly tough without dropping anything worth the trouble, most Explorers skip this floor entirely, opting to push on to 37 or falling back to 35 instead. In other words, the classic unpopular monster. But that's exactly why Floor 36 is nearly empty outside the area around the teleportation circle. Which means I get to hunt here uninterrupted, with next to no risk of anyone se...
Comments
Post a Comment