Dungeon Gacha Life Chapter 28

 Chapter 28: My C-Rank Offer and a Piece of Swimsuit


After defeating the Minotaur a second time, we used the teleportation magic circle on Floor 21 to head back to Floor 1.


The three of them hadn't cleared the boss fight but apparently that was still enough to pass through. It was only the C-Rank certification that required turning in the "Minotaur's Nose Ring" as proof of a solo kill.


Figuring I might as well so I'd brought the three of them with me to the lobby.

I had to explain the rescue anyway.


"I'm back, Shimotsuki-san."


"...Welcome back, Suzukaze-kun."


When I spoke up, Shimotsuki-san looked past me and tilted her head.


"Mukai-san and the others are with you too. Did something happen?"


I was trying to figure out how to explain the three of them when Shimotsuki-san said Mukai-san's name herself. So they already knew each other.

That'd make this quicker, then.


"Yeah, actually..."


I explained the whole thing: from meeting them in front of the boss room, jumping in to help during their boss fight to my rematch with the Mino afterward and everything up through coming back from Floor 21.


Every so often, Shimotsuki-san would toss out a question to check some details and the three of them would answer.

Nothing about it seemed to raise any red flags and Shimotsuki-san kept a calm expression the whole time, which put me at ease.


For what it's worth, the three of them said they'd had Shimotsuki-san handle their registration a few times before.

Apparently they usually had someone else assigned to them, though.


On Shimotsuki-san's days off, I also got my own paperwork handled by a different receptionist too.


Receptionists naturally had their own shifts too.

Getting the same person every single time really wasn't easy.


Someday, once I made B-Rank or A-Rank, I wanted to bring her on as my dedicated receptionist.


Once we'd finished the full report on Floor 20, the three of them turned back to face me properly.

After this, they said, they'd make their own report and handle the paperwork at their usual counter.


Especially since Yui was retiring as an Explorer.

She ought to really talk it over properly with whoever'd been looking after her all this time.


As we parted ways, it was Yui who gave her goodbye with the most emotions.


"Suzukaze-san, thank you so much for today. Because of you, I was able to make a decision I won't regret. I'll never forget what I owe you."


Given how her cheeks had colored a little, she must have been genuinely happy to be able to stay friends with the other two.

Seeing her that happy, I could tell that helping out had clearly been worth it.


Saying she still owed Lapis a thank-you too, we promised to meet again some other day and parted ways.


* * *


"Well done, Suzukaze-kun."


Once I'd sat back down at the counter, Shimotsuki-san gave me some words of praise. Woohoo.


"Thank you too, Lapis-chan. For helping those girls."


"Oh, no, not at all! I only spoke up, that's all."


Lapis wriggled around, looking embarrassed.

Honestly, Lapis's call back then had been a perfect 100 out of 100.


At least for today, I should honestly give her credit for that.


Shimotsuki-san watched Lapis's embarrassed fidgeting with a smile.

Lately I've started thinking this person might actually be a bodhisattva. Feels like she could reach enlightenment any day now.


Better say a little prayer.

May the lottery ticket I never even bought win someday.


"What exactly are you doing?"


"Praying my never-bought lottery ticket wins."


"At least buy the ticket before you pray for it."


"That'd be a waste of money, though."


Shimotsuki-san's pressing a hand to her brow now.

And here I thought at least half of that was a joke.


"Touya-san, what on earth is going on inside your head?"


The Gacha fairy beside me came out with that cheeky remark, looking thoroughly exasperated.


Alright then. How about we spend the whole day today watching horror movies?


"I'm sorry!! Please, anything but that!!"


"That's a little cruel. Why don't you let her off the hook?"


With her tensed expression, Shimotsuki-san threw Lapis a lifeline.


Ah-ha, this is...


"Shimotsuki-san, do you want to go on a date sometime? There's this popular horror movie..."


"I'll pass."


So Shimotsuki-san's not good with horror. Noted, noted.


"Ahem. Well then, shall we move on to the paperwork? Suzukaze-kun, please submit the 'Minotaur's Nose Ring'."


"Oh, right. Lots happened but that was the whole point of today, wasn't it."


I pulled the nose ring out of my bag and set it on the counter.

Sized to match the Minotaur's massive build, the nose ring was just as big, about the size of a hand spread all the way open.


"Yes, I have confirmed it. You really did pull this off in three months."


"It was a tough fight, you know? So tough, so grueling."


I made sure not to skip the "trust me, it was a struggle" routine.

Taking the other day's lesson to heart, I'd really put in the effort today.


"...According to those girls' account, though, the Minotaur's attacks never so much as grazed you?"


Now that she mentioned it, Yui had really gone on about that during the explanation.

I'd been so impressed she could talk that fast that I'd completely forgotten what she actually said.


"Well, never mind. We don't normally keep records of exactly how a kill went down anyway. Especially since this time there were witnesses to the solo kill so I think C-Rank certification will go through without any issues."


C-Rank certification. So I'd finally made it this far.


* * *


"I will assume that this time, getting the license issued the same day or the next isn't really in the cards?"


For E-Rank, I'd taken the orientation, gone through the check before having it mailed to me.

For D-Rank, I'd found the teleportation circle and reported it. I remember it being handed over the same day without any fuss at all.


"Right. From C-Rank onward, it counts as an actual professional credential so there are surprisingly some paperwork involved."


I nodded honestly at Shimotsuki-san's explanation.

From C-Rank on, depending on the conditions, you could even take out a loan.

It made sense the screening would take some time too.


"Given your track record so far, Suzukaze-kun, that's not going to be a problem at all. Regular dungeon attacks, along with the amounts you've sold. Then this emergency response, with a solo kill of the Upper Levels' boss on top of it. Honestly, it'd be harder to fail this than to pass it so just relax and wait."


Quite the glowing review.

Guess it never hurts to keep your everyday conduct in good shape after all.


"And also..."


Clearing her throat, Shimotsuki-san gave a bright smile.


"You've also been disclosing your Status, which also reflects well on you with the Guild, you know?"


She meant the fake Status I'd disclosed under the guise of "consulting" her, once I got the Unique Skill Status Disguise, right?

Given how loaded that comment was, it looked like she'd already figured out I had a disguise-type Skill too.


"Disclosing a Status you weren't even obligated to show. And on top of that, it includes a Unique Skill nobody's ever seen before. The Guild thinks a lot more highly of you as an Explorer than you probably realize, Suzukaze-kun."


"Does a high evaluation come with any perks?"


This part mattered.

If it came with a lot of hassle, I'd rather turn it down.


"No need to be so wary. We're not going to saddle you with any obligations. Sometimes it means priority on good-paying requests or it makes it easier to arrange introductions to strong parties. On the flip side, requests like 'please don't recruit me' also get taken into account as much as possible."


"Please, definitely put me down for 'no recruiting'."


"I know. That's already been added ages ago."


That's Shimotsuki-san for you. She really gets it.


"Either way, the license itself will take about a week to issue. Until then, it's business as usual. Though you're fine to keep pushing past Floor 21 in the meantime."


"Ah, about that..."


I put into words the thing that had just occurred to me a moment ago.


"I was thinking I'd take summer vacation until the license comes in."


"S-summer vacation..."


I mean, it's been hot lately.

Even commuting by taxi comes with its own share of trouble.


"Summer vacation!?"


Lapis, who'd been watching the paperwork beside me, perked right up.

She'd been saying for a while now that she wanted to go to the pool.


She'd worked hard this time so I figured it was fine to at least put it on the list of options.

Then again, it'd be a little awkward if it was just the two of us.


"So, this is a pretty serious invitation, but... Shimotsuki-san, would you like to come to the pool with us?"


"Let's go! Ryouka-san!!"


Invited by a positively giddy Lapis, Shimotsuki-san spent a good while genuinely torn over it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dungeon Gacha Life Chapter 24

Dungeon Gacha Life Chapter 1

Dungeon Gacha Life Chapter 22