Dungeon Gacha Life Chapter 27
Chapter 27: The Minotaur Dies Twice
I'd beaten the boss, the Minotaur, on Floor 20 but there'd been no drop at all.
It made sense though. Since this floor boss had a special fixed-drop rule: beat it with multiple parties and it wouldn't drop a thing.
Seems like this is the kind of thing someone could abuse to mess with people.
While I was thinking that over, it occurred to me to check whether the three of them were okay and the moment I turned around, I was immediately surrounded.
"Wh-whoa! Suzukaze-san, you're insanely strong!?"
"Um, thank you so much for saving us!!"
"Um, tha— um..."
With all three of them talking over each other, there was no making sense of it.
And the bob-cut girl, your face is bright red, are you okay?
Anyway, I calmed the excited girls down and suggested we move back in front of the boss room.
You had to step out of this arena area once or the boss wouldn't respawn.
Big brother here's still got to fight it one more time, you know?
"Once again, thank you so much for saving us from that dangerous situation."
"Thank you so much!"
The long-haired girl, as their leader, spoke up first to give her thanks.
The other two followed suit, bowing their heads too.
"Don't worry about it. I actually came out ahead, getting to fight before the real thing."
I tried to choose my words so they wouldn't feel bad about it.
Well, there was some genuine truth mixed in there too.
Holding back turned out to be way harder than I'd expected so it was good to get the practice in.
I wanted to give myself credit for not using Slash on that first hit.
I was honestly stunned that a normal attack alone took that much off its HP.
"But it wouldn't sit right not to thank you somehow..."
The long-haired girl dutifully offered.
Honestly, if she pushed it too far, it'd just be more trouble.
I glanced over at Lapis, who was standing beside me with a relieved look on her face.
We're partners, right?
"In that case, why don't you buy Lapis some snacks? She's the one who suggested calling for help. I'm genuinely satisfied with just having gotten to fight."
"Eh, me?"
"—?! Nnnghhhh—!!"
Just as I was trying to pass the credit off onto Lapis, the bob-cut girl started writhing for some reason.
Had I said something that strange?
"I-is that really okay? I mean, we're grateful to Lapis-chan too so we don't mind, but..."
To the long-haired girl, who still looked apologetic, I gave a nod.
"Yeah. Helping people out feels good too, you know. So that's plenty."
That much was true. I figured I'd sleep well tonight.
...Though with Restful Sleep, that's basically been true every night lately anyway.
Also, the bob-cut girl was swaying a little on her feet.
I guess she really was worn out.
* * *
After that, Lapis was surrounded, thanked over and over, promised snacks and the girls' lively chatter went on and on.
Me? I was thinking the Minotaur should be respawning soon and I wanted to go take care of it.
Lapis looked over at me and shook her head. Guess that was a no.
"But seriously, Suzukaze-san, 'Long-hair!' was not okay~"
The ponytail girl, having fully recovered her energy, called me out over that nickname from earlier.
It just slipped out in the heat of the moment. I'd shortened "the long-haired girl" which is what I'd been calling her in my head.
"Sorry. It just came out."
When I apologized honestly, the long-haired girl shook her head to say it didn't bother her.
"I'm fine with it. But calling Yui 'Bob-cut' is a bit much. I'm guessing you meant the haircut but you really shouldn't call a girl 'Bob'."
Fair point. I had no excuse for that one.
I turned to the bob-cut girl and apologized.
"Sorry, for calling you that... um, Yui-san. What's your last name?"
I already knew her given name, since the other two used it with each other.
But surely a guy she'd only just met calling her by her first name would feel off-putting.
Even I had that much common sense.
"Just call her Yui, no honorific! You're older than her anyway, Suzukaze-san! Right, Yui?"
"Wha, yes! That's fine!"
Huh? Wasn't that supposed to be common sense?
After that, with proper introductions, it turned out they were Mukai Kaori, Katou Saki and Tachibana Yui.
In that order: the long-haired girl, the ponytail girl and the bob-cut girl.
For some reason, I ended up calling them "Mukai-san," "Saki-chan" and "Yui," respectively.
I really don't get what goes on in high school girls' heads.
I did wonder if it was fair for just one of them to get called by name with no honorific but the other two were just fussing over her by stroking her head and patting her shoulder, .
I caught snatches of "thank you" and "good luck" from them.
It didn't look like she was being picked on or anything so it was a mystery to me.
"Don't worry about it, Touya-san. They're just deepening their friendship."
For some reason, Lapis said that with a smug, know-it-all look.
Could she maybe stop looking at me with those gentle, pitying eyes?
* * *
"There's something I want the two of you to hear."
After the three girls had fussed over each other for a while, Yui's expression turned serious as she faced the other two.
Seeing that, the other two stiffened for just a moment too and straightened up to listen properly.
For what it's worth, the Minotaur had already respawned by now.
But the fairy's eyes were telling me: wait. Woof.
"That day, when the two of you invited me, I was happy. I couldn't fit in with my class, and I was alone, and you spoke to me anyway. I was really, truly happy."
Yui began speaking, haltingly.
For some reason, Lapis's eyes were welling up with tears. Seriously?
"Becoming Explorers together, working at it together. Every day was fun. The first time we saw the teleportation magic circle on Floor 6, and we all hugged each other and celebrated, that's one of my treasured memories."
Bit by bit, warmth started creeping into her words.
"After school, researching things together, practicing our teamwork. I remember the day we weren't feeling it and went to karaoke instead, too. It was really, truly fun."
Saki-chan nodded along again and again, as if agreeing with her.
"Even when we hit a wall on Floor 16 and I got cold feet, the two of you never once looked annoyed and you supported me. It's because you two were there that I could keep going."
Katou-san pressed a hand to her chest, eyes welling up.
"Challenging the boss ended in disappointment. But I don't regret it."
Yui glanced my way for just a moment.
Don't worry, I'm listening properly.
"Because I've finally accepted that I just can't do this. I'm retiring as an Explorer."
With none of the timidness from earlier, she said it in a clear, steady voice.
"But even so, if it's possible... no. Kaori-san, Saki-san, please stay as my friends, from now on too!"
"Yui!!"
"Of course we will~!!"
The two of them threw their arms around Yui, in tears.
Her way of drawing a line under things had clearly been fully accepted by the other two.
"I'm so glad, Yui-san... I'm really, truly glad!"
Lapis was bawling her eyes out.
Well, it was a touching scene, alright.
Even I felt something welling up in my chest a little.
The three of them hugged each other with smiling faces, exchanging their thanks.
The youth of pretty girls really does make for a picture-perfect scene.
In the end their party was breaking up here.
But their friendship would surely go on just as it was.
Yeah. Touching, alright.
...That aside, are we still not yet? Ah. I see.
Ten minutes later.
Timing it once the conversation had settled down, I was finally given the green light for my rematch with the Mino.
I think I managed to kill it better than the first time.
Comments
Post a Comment